twitter/instagram

/ Instagram

Monday 17 February 2014

Foals at Alexandra Palace (15.02.14)


On Saturday Chloe and I ventured to the lovely Alexandra Palace to see Foals- which after trying countless times to get tickets, was absolutely amazing. The first ace thing about the night was the venue- I've never been there before and it was absolutely beautiful, I'm a bit of a sucker for stain glass windows and nice buildings! As always, I was a little too short to be taking photographs in a big crowd, so this post is going to be a little lacking in pictures but I will see what I can pinch from the ones that Chlo took.

Doors opened at 6:30 which was a little earlier than I find most places do, but it meant we had time to have a nice little wander around all of the yummy food and drink stalls inside (as well as spend about twenty minutes umm-ing and arr-ing over which t-shirts to buy!). I treated myself to a Chicken Katsu Curry and a really cool baseball style Foals shirt, which I have pretty much been wearing since the gig and you will have seen if you follow me on Instagram or Tumblr. They also had a little live band in the middle of the hall and it set a lovely atmosphere.

The first of the two bands before Foals (I feel really awful for not knowing their name!) was a little, um, different- they was no singing but a lot of pretty awesome guitar solos. It was nice to have something out of the ordinary to kick start the night but I think it just made everyone all the more anxious for Cage the Elephant and Foals to come on stage! Cage the Elephant aren't a band I know very well, other than the obvious 'Shake Me Down' that I really love, but their energy on stage was amazing, and the songs I did know were ace to sing along to which helped to get us into the 'spirit' of the night. Then it was time for Foals, who of course everyone was waiting for. Their set was a little disappointingly short, I think they were only on for a total of about ninety minutes, but it may have been a blessing in disguise because the crowd was a little bit nuts on Saturday!

Photo Credit to: vicstaa.tumblr.com

They entered the stage in darkness and began playing the Prelude from their latest album, Holy Fire and then kicked off the gig with 'Total Life Forever' which has always been a song I've liked so it was a nice way to start. They played all the greats, focusing a lot on their newer stuff like 'Inhaler' (which was absolutely insane, even more so than when they played at Reading '13) and 'My Number' which really suited the crowd and everyone was singing along and being all crazy. A highlight for me was 'Spanish Sahara' and I think that could be said for literally any time I see them, because it is, and probably always will be, my favourite song of theirs. As they did at Reading, they made everyone get down onto the floor (which was ace for me, because it meant I could actually see the stage!) and then rise up at the chorus- everyone was belting it out and there was a really great atmosphere. One of the only disappointments of the night was them not playing 'Cassius' which was the first Foals song I ever heard, but hey ho.

All in all it was an amazing night and would very much like to go back and relive it! Next up, Wild Beasts on 31st March at Cambridge Corn Exchange.

No comments:

Post a Comment