twitter/instagram

/ Instagram

Friday 26 July 2013

List I: films to watch and books to read

I think I probably love films just as much as I love books, and spend a fair amount of time lusting over the enormity of those which I want to consume- which generally ends with me making list after list of things to watch and read, then forgetting about them. That said, I will continue making lists of them anyway!

Films:

  • Schindler's List
  • The Pianist
  • A Clockwork Orange
  • Trainspotting
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • V for Vendetta
  • A Beautiful Mind
Books:
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Wuthering Heights
  • The Metamorphosis
  • The Outsider (re-read)
  • Schindler's Ark
  • Romeo and Juliet
  • Rebecca
  • Great Expectations
  • Cloud Atlas
  • Captain Corelli's Mandolin
(and quite a few others, but I'll stop there)

The advantage of having a lot of time on my hands is that I've been able to watch/read a lot of stuff this summer already. A film I can recommend (despite the fact that it shook me up to the point where I was scared to go to the toilet in the night) is Requiem for a Dream (2000), which I stupidly decided to watch in the early hours one morning. It's quite possibly the bleakest film I have ever seen, and will leave you with little or no hope for future happiness BUT it was exhausting to watch, with a beautiful and powerful soundtrack and left me pretty awestruck- so, watch it! Of my recent reads my favourite has definitely been Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, which a customer at work recommended to me after having seen me reading Orwell's 1984. I got totally lost within the society created in the novel, and it was really difficult to grasp the fact that it was written in 1931 and not the 21st Century- which made it a really compelling and interesting read!

No comments:

Post a Comment