twitter/instagram

/ Instagram

Wednesday 29 July 2015

Favourite New Music Discoveries

I'm constantly listening to music but easily forget what I actually liked and what just kind of washed over me, so I thought a new music post was in order. This is partly inspired by a gig I went to in London last week, where I saw a few bands I'd never even listened to before I got tickets. I like opening up to new music, so here are my five favourite recent musical discoveries.

1. Palace

Palace are a four-piece from London, who I literally listened to for the first time today. I reviewed their new track, 'Head Above The Water' and I can't stop listening to it. They're kind of like Foals but with less of the harsh edge, and the vocals are lovely. I'm hoping to see them in October, and fingers crossed getting an interview too!



2. Natalie McCool

Natalie McCool is one of the acts I saw last week at the Sebright Arms. Her stage presence was effortlessly cool and her vocals were incredible. Her tracks are have jaunty pop inflections but aren't limited to merely being categorised as pop. She's pretty unique, and her voice is brilliant.



3. YOUTH

YOUTH was another act last week, and I had a lovely chat with her after her set. Her vocals are killer and her stage presence was so energetic, it was refreshing. Her music combines her amazing voice with fairly simple electronic stuff, but that works to her advantage as it makes the vocals the focal point. She didn't play my favourite track though, but has promised she will at her next gig.


4. Zola Blood

I wrote an introducing article about Hackney-based Zola Blood last week, and I'm still pretty excited about them. My favourite track of theirs is the dreamy 'Play Out', which intricately combines undulating synths and beautiful vocals.


5. Clean Cut Kid

I've had 'Vitamin C' as my go-to morning track all week. It's upbeat, jaunty and just plain lovely. I'm really excited to see what else these guys bring because if this track is anything to go by, they are ones to watch.



I seem to be trying to tailor this blog a bit more towards music, which is probably a good thing. But if I do anything else that's worth writing about, I will probably stick it on here anyway!


1 comment:

  1. Never heard of any of these but by what you've written I really like the sound of all of them, especially Natalie McCool. Will definitely have to check her out.

    The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete