twitter/instagram

/ Instagram

Tuesday 7 July 2015

My favourite albums of 2015 so far

A lot of publications are showcasing the best that 2015 has offered us in music so far. I'd like to do the same.


Kicking off this list is Wolf Alice's daring debut, My Love Is Cool. After its release, glowing reviews erupted left, right and centre- and mine was no different. I hailed the album as worthy of a five star review for its genre hopping diversity and its raw coolness that make it such a stand out debut.

Favourite tracks: 'Turn To Dust', 'Bros' and 'Silk'.


Summer Camp's Bad Love sparked my attention after watching Beyond Clueless, a highschool movie montage featuring an amazing soundtrack from the band. This was the first album in a while I had got really excited for, and after talking to Elizabeth Sankey on Twitter in the lead up to its release, I was so glad it didn't disappoint (not that I thought it would). The album is full of dreamy pop and excitingly fast-paced lyrics. It's fab.

Favourite tracks: 'Bad Love', 'Run Away' and 'Keep Up'.


Next up is the second album from Lucy Rose, Work It Out. As Rose said, the album is a little bit different- and it is sure to get people dancing. Not that she had anything to prove, but Work It Out shows listeners what Rose is about, and it is certainly bolder and more full of life than her debut. I'm glad she didn't just make a record that was exactly the same as her debut; whilst still maintaining the honesty of her music. The album packs a punch, and I am excited to dance around at her Autumn tour.

Favourite tracks: 'Our Eyes', 'Work It Out' and 'Lone Ranger'.


Another exciting debut to spring is Prides' The Way Back Up. I was lucky enough to get a stream for this album (ahem, records ed perks) ahead of its release at the end of the week. I gave it a lot of time, and it was ace to find diversity in place throughout the album, with a few surprises along the way. Prides have proven that they are ones to watch with this album, combining dreamy synthesisers and punchy beats.

Favourite tracks: 'Same Mistakes' and 'Not Gonna Change'.

When I ran for The Edge's Records Editor, my predecessor asked us all what we thought of Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly. I'd never listened to it (but luckily people still voted for me). Of course, when I went home, I did some research and got quite into the jazz and hiphop fusion that is this album. It oozes cool and makes you feel pretty badass if you listen to it whilst wandering around campus.

Favourite tracks: 'Wesley's Theory' and 'Institutionalised'.

This list is by no means extensive; I've also loved Everything Everything's Get To Heaven, SOAK's debut Before We Forgot How To Dream, and surprisingly, Snoop's BUSH. I'm excited for what the rest of this year will bring music-wise. Even this month is jampacked, with Tame Impala's Currents and MS MR's second album, How Does It Feel both on the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment