twitter/instagram

/ Instagram

Friday 2 August 2013

Book review: Alice in Wonderland


I've always loved the story of Alice in Wonderland, mostly from watching Disney's version of events (as well as later on, Tim Burton's adaptation) but it dawned on me recently that I had never read the original version! I found this beautiful copy on a bookshelf in the house, that Mum thinks is my Granny's, and couldn't resist having a read- especially as a nice break after having read more serious matter. The edition is perfect and complete with both colour and black and white illustrations, and it was really lovely to read- I sort of felt as though I was reverting back to childhood and got a little too swept away in Wonderland.

My favourite illustration of the book- Alice and the Cheshire Cat

Essentially, Alice in Wonderland is a children's tale of nonsense and strange lands, but Lewis Carroll's careful crafting of word play, as well as an incorporation of themes surrounding growing up, death and danger, raises it to something that I think anyone could enjoy! Of course it is possible to simply read it at face value, as I pretty much have done, but I'm really interested to read a bit more into it as I've seen a lot of psychoanalysis of the tale online. Overall reading this reminded me a little of the magic of childhood and imagination, and filled me with nostalgia- especially as I'm at a time where I'm going to have to grow up pretty quickly! This is definitely worth reading, even just for a bit of fun- and I would like to read Through the Looking Glass too.

Next up on my reading list: Thomas Keneally's Schindler's Ark

No comments:

Post a Comment