twitter/instagram

/ Instagram

Thursday 15 August 2013

Thoughts on...results and university

As many of you probably know, today was A Level (and AS) results day, meaning the day a lot of us found out whether or not we had gotten into our chosen university. It's safe to say that last night was a pretty sleepless one- dozing off at 2, waking up at 4, dozing off, waking up at 6 to check Maths results (B, good), then snoozing until UCAS clearing went live at 7.30. I found out that I now have a place at Southampton University to study English and I am over the moon, because I really had my heart set on it- but I still had to face collecting my English and Media results that- despite getting my place- I was still pretty worried about. As it turns out, I had no reason to worry at all. My overall grades were an A* in English Lit, A* in Media, and Bs in Maths and Extended Project- and I really couldn't be happier. The funny thing was that the only person who was actually surprised with these results was myself, everyone around me had expected me to do as well as I did- which I guess points out my major flaw in being my own worst critic. Of course it would have been lovely to have done better in Maths, but I can't really complain and I'm so proud of myself because the hours of revision and tears and tantrums and stress actually paid off- and I think I got the grades I deserved. Collecting results was lovely, because all of my friends had also gotten into university and I am so proud of each and every one of them (even though I'm going to miss them horribly).

Now everything is very real. I will definitely be moving to Southampton on 21st September. I'm not going to come home until December. I will have to make new friends. I will have to get back into the swing of academia. I will have to work hard again. To be fair, it isn't the work I'm worried about. I'm more worried about making new friends and making good first impressions on people- and steering away from the temptation of embracing my introverted tendencies and hiding away in my room with a book. That said, I am really looking forward to going. I need new challenges, new surroundings, new people...and I think this will be good for me. Next steps will be finding out my accommodation, buying all the bits and bobs necessary for university, and then buggering off to have an ace time!

I hope everyone got the results they wanted and is off to where they want to go. We did it- we beat A Levels! Well done to all.

An excitable me after very little sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment